Tuesday 11 August 2009

I was thinking yesterday about the link that music has with fashion. One of the reasons for this was that I was thinking how much music affects my life and my mood, which as a result, affects my fashion choices. For instance, if I hear lyrics about certain types of clothing, I automatically wonder whether this would be a good choice for me. Songs such as Jet's 'Are you gonna be my girl' and Kook's 'She moves in her own way'. And maybe not in such a specific way as that, if I'm just listening to a song that's summery, for instance, I feel the urge to wear summery clothes even if it's in the middle of winter.
So I started wondering how fashion manages to link to music so easily, they're quite different subjects but seem to come hand-in-hand. It's always seemed to be this way, with Vivienne Westwood inspiring the punk generation and many music artists starting fashion trends such as Debbie Harry with her bleach blonde hair, Arctic monkeys and other indie bands with their polo shirts and skinny jeans or even slightly tackier, but nevertheless a trend, the Spice Girls with the 'girl power' way of dressing.
I think one of the most important things is how music makes people feel. Music can inspire people to be more confident and this can sometimes reflect in the way they dress. I think music videos also have a strong effect too, if you see an artist or band in a music video dressed in a certain way, and you like the music or the artist/band you are more likely to consider dressing in this way too.
Music will always continue to influence fashion and vice versa. Songwriters continue to mention designer labels and items of clothing in their lyrics, and fashion will always look to music trends to inspire their ideas. I'm pretty happy with this fact, because I continue to love both music and fashion and can't imagine them being seperate from eachother.
x :) x

No comments:

Post a Comment