Monday 3 August 2009

I am very happy to see the rise in British female artists in the music charts. For too long it has been male-dominated indie bands which all started to sound the same. Now don't get me wrong, I am a big fan of the indie bands, but definately feel that something new was needed in the music scene, so here are my four favourites:



Florence and the machine - yes, I have already written about her before but she is pretty amazing! The release of the band's first album went straight to number 2, only blocked by Michael Jackson himself. She describes her music as "metaphorical songs that are 'stories with consequences and weird morality issues'. Basically her stuff is crazy, but crazily good. I'm also happy to be seeing her for the second time in September, hooray! She has amazing fashion sense with her crazy dresses and skirts.
Favourite song: 'Drumming Song' or her cover of 'You've got the love'.


VV Brown - This artist kind of just appeared to me when she released her single 'shark in the water'. Her music is described as 'retro pop with indie and punk rock influences'. She has attracted a lot of attention with her unique style, in particlular her signature roll-top fringe. She has her own vintage clothing website, called vvvintage.com. Someone once commented that 'Brown delivers something her retro UK peers have thus far lacked - pure, whimsical fun'. I'm also very excited to be seeing her at Bingley Music Live at the beginning of september!

Favourite song: 'Shark in the water'.



Laura Marling - I still struggle to get over the fact that Laura Marling is 19, the same age as me, she puts me to shame with the amount of thngs she's already done with her life. She used to be part of the band Noah and the whale and has featured on some of the Mystery jet's songs. I absolutely love her album 'alas, I cannot swim' and can't wait to see what she does next. An interesting fact: she was once denied access to one of her performances because she was under age so she performed outside instead. Her music is described as folky pop.
Favourite song: 'Ghosts'.


M.I.A - This artist has been around since 2004, but has sort of gained mainstream recognition after her song 'paper planes' was used on the Slumdog Millionaire soundtrack. She seems to have many talents, as she also calls herself a graphic designer and has released a collection of fashion designs in 2008. She describes her music as 'other'.

Favourite song: 'Paper Planes' or 'Sunshowers'.


I love the fact that all these artists have also been influential in the fashion world, whether it just being the way they dress or actually getting involved in the fashion business. I hope it continues to inspire new UK artists to release their music, I look forward to hearing more.

No comments:

Post a Comment